I have the most lovely neighbor down the street! She is so generous and often brings me extra food, ingredients, tea and other goodies. I am so lucky! One thing she brought me was some extra feta cheese. I just love this kind of cheese, it has such a delicious flavor, especially along with spinach and oregano- a kind of Greek quiche.
I had a fun time adapting a quiche recipe that I had to create a lovely one that is perfect for spring! It is so amazing to have for breakfast, brunch or even dinner!
I was very inspired by the amazingly beautiful oregano plants that have been growing for some time out in my garden. I am amazed that it keeps on growing and producing lots of delicious oregano for lots of my dishes.
I hope that you enjoy this quiche with your friends and family very soon.
Spinach and Fresh Oregano and Feta Quiche:
1 gluten free pastry shell- pastry recipe below
1/2 cup butter
3 garlic cloves, chopped finely
1 small onion or half of a large onion, chopped finely
6 ounces chopped fresh spinach
1 tablespoon or more fresh oregano, chopped
8 ounces feta cheese
salt and pepper
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Make the gluten free pastry shell (recipe below), place in freezer and set aside while you are making the filling.
2. Preheat the oven to 375F (190 C)
3. In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic in the butter until translucent. Add in the spinach and saute until until reduced down- about 4-5 minutes. Drain the spinach mixture in a colander and squeeze out some of the extra liquid. Set aside to cool.
4. When the spinach mixture is cooled, place it into a medium bowl and mix in the feta cheese, fresh oregano and season with salt and pepper. Make sure to taste the mixture to make sure it is seasoned enough. Place the spinach cheese mixture in the bottom of the pastry lined pie pan.
5. In another medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and heavy cream. Pour into the pie pan. Stir to combine the spinach/cheese mixture and the egg/milk mixture.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 30-45 minutes or until set in the center. Let the quiche stand for 10 minutes until slicing and serving.
GF Pastry Dough:
1 1/4 cups brown rice flour blend (see recipe below) or use a gluten free flour blend
1 tablespoon organic sugar
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons coconut oil (heaping tablespoons)
1 large egg
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Mix together the brown rice flour blend (or use a packaged gluten free flour mix), 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum and salt in the bowl of a large food processor. Add in the 6 tablespoons coconut oil and process until the mixture is a coarse meal.
2. In a separate bowl with a small wire whisk or fork, whisk together the egg and lemon juice.
3. Slowly pour the egg-lemon juice mixture into the food processor and pulse. Add small amounts of ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is moist and clumps together.
4. Gather the dough into a ball and flatten out into a disk. Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour. Then, roll out between plastic wrap or parchment paper. Press the rolled out pastry into the pie shell and flute the edges. Put the pie shell into the freezer for about 20-30 minutes before baking.
Brown Rice Flour Blend:
6 cups brown rice flour
2 cups potato starch
1 cup tapioca flour
Mix together in a bowl with a wire whisk. You will have extra for another baking project later.