This is a fun and quick dinner I remember my mom making on a regular basis at home. We would always have this dish in a 13x9 metal pan and there was always a side with hot sauce on it and a side without. My brother and I weren't into spicy food at the time, so looked forward to the "cheese-only" side. What a fun dish! We always had this with lots of corn chips to scoop up the nachos. We also ate some of it with a fork. We always looked forward to "nacho-night." This is also a great dish to take to a party or have as an appetizer or "game-day" meal. YUM!!
I hope that you and your family will enjoy this dish soon. You can also make this dish dairy free with a dairy free cheese or vegetarian by sauteing some yummy mushrooms in place of the beef or turkey.
Serves 4-5. You may double the recipe and serve 8-10.
15+ minutes prep time + 20 minutes in the oven. You can prep this dish the night before and pop it in the oven when you come home from work. Serve with with salsa or fresh tomatoes on top, corn chips and a salad for a quick weeknight meal.
Olive oil for saute pan and for greasing pie pan
1/2 of a large onion, chopped
1 pound organic ground beef (or ground turkey or ground chicken work well too)
For vegetarians: You may slice 8-10 ounces of white button mushrooms and saute them with the onions in place of the meat. It's delicious!
Taco seasoning: 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix together.
One 16 oz. can vegetarian refried beans
One 7 oz. can mild green chilies
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (you may use a dairy free cheese on top as well)
hot sauce (optional)
1. Grease a large 9 inch ceramic pie pan with olive oil. Set aside.
2. Heat the oven to 400 F.
3. Heat a large saute pan with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in it. Saute the onions for 2-3 minutes or until soft.
4. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink. Sprinkle on the homemade taco seasoning and stir to coat the onions and the beef. Take off the heat.
5. Spread the refried beans in the bottom of the greased pie pan. Then, spread the ground beef/onion mixture on top. Spread the green chilies on top of that. Lastly, sprinkle with cheese.
6. Bake in the 400 F oven for 20 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese is melted. Enjoy!