What wonderful timing! While my son and I were visiting my parents the other day, my mom told me about a wonderful apple cake recipe that she had found. It was a moist loaf cake with raisins added in. I decided that I would take this recipe and convert it to gluten free/dairy free and also at the same time add my own flair to it. It was a big success!
Even my husband, who usually doesn't care for apple desserts, really enjoyed these cakes! I love the addition of the sauteed apples instead of the raisins and I think that cakes should always have a decorative topping that really makes it special and makes the ingredients shine. I prefer my decorating to be more rustic and so I used the sauteed apples on top.
I hope that you enjoy these cakes soon! Let me know how you like them in the comments below.
Cinnamon Applesauce Cakes:
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup coconut sugar
1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups sauteed apples, divided. (Peel apples, slice thinly and chop finely into small pieces. Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add in the apples, add in honey to taste and about 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Saute this mixture until the apples are soft- about 5-7 minutes. Set aside to cool before adding to the batter and as a topping.)
1. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin with coconut oil. Heat the oven to 350F.
2. Cream coconut oil in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add in coconut sugar, mix and beat until smooth.
3. Add in applesauce and mix together.
4. Sift together the gluten free flour mix, xanthan gum, baking soda and spices. Add to the batter and mix.
5. Add in 1 cup of the sauteed apples and reserve the other cup for the topping. Mix together.
6. Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Let them cool and top each cake with sauteed apples.
Enjoy! Hope you enjoy these yummy fall cakes! Let me know in the comments who you plan on serving these to.