Do you ever have a recipe that comes together out of things that you just happen to have on your counter, in your pantry, in your fridge and freezer? This is exactly how these muffins came to life! I happened to have some ripe bananas I didn't want to go to waste, a few pecans in the freezer, dates and banana chips in my pantry! I love how this all came together.
I started to think about flavor combinations that I liked, and I love the richness of the pecans and wanted to really flavor the muffin with lots of that nut flavor, so I decided to grind the nuts instead of just chopping them. I did however leave some bigger chunks of pecans for the topping.
I imagine that these would be fabulous for a little tea party, or for a breakfast with friends. However, right now I will just enjoy mine, here on a regular Tuesday with my cup of coffee. :)
I hope that you make these soon and let me know what you think!
Banana Pecan Date Muffins:
Makes 12 small muffins
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 cup ripe, mashed bananas (about 3 bananas)
1 cup gluten free flour mix (I used a new Ancient Grains one. It already contains xanthan gum, but if your mix does not, add 1 teaspoon xanthan gum to this recipe)
1/2 cup ground pecans (Put pecans into a food processor and process until ground but not turned into nut butter)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup dates, chopped finely
1. Grease the cups of a muffin tin with coconut oil. Heat the oven to 350F.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the coconut oil for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add in the coconut sugar and honey and mix well. Then, add in the mashed bananas and mix together. Add in the gluten free flour mix, mix together. Stir in the ground pecans, baking soda and cinnamon. Lastly, add in the chopped dates and mix.
4. Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Cool, and top with banana/pecan topping. (Recipe below)
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup organic banana chips, broken into small pieces
1. In a small frying pan, add in the pecans, honey and cinnamon. Stir together the ingredients for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Make sure the nuts and honey are well combined.Take the pan off the heat.
2. Mix together the nut/honey mixture with the broken banana chip pieces. Spoon a small amount of the topping onto each muffin. Enjoy!