Yummy, fresh salads! They are the staple of summer. This is an amazingly fresh, delicious and colorful salad that I made to accompany one of my Josephine meals during August. I served this salad with some yummy homemade barbecue chicken and brown rice. I loved this meal and my customers did too. It is the perfect combo for summer!
I hope that you enjoy this salad in the last days of summer. I feel like we all need to savor the last days before school and our more hectic routines start up again. I am looking forward to a few more days of sun, time at the beach and time enjoying the simple pleasures of a backyard barbecue.
Charred Corn, Basil and Tomato Salad:
This recipe is adapted from: Bon Apetit Magazine
12 ears of corn, husks removed
coconut oil for greasing corn
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced red onion
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn (I used the ones I grow in my garden)
1/2 cup + fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme ( I grow two types of this herb in my garden)
+ Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Heat your gas grill to high. Rub corn with coconut oil so it doesn't stick to the grill.
2. Grill the corn until it is charred a bit and heated through- about 10-12 minutes total.
3. Remove the corn from the grill and cool. Then, cut the kernels off of the cobs and place them in a bowl.
4. Put the onion slices in a strainer and rinse them with cold water.
5. Mix together the corn, onion, tomatoes, basil, lime juice, thyme together. Add kosher salt and pepper to taste.
This salad may be assembled 1 hour ahead of your event and let to stand at room temperature. Refrigerate for longer storage. Enjoy!