This recipe came out of the fact that I bought an interesting new ingredient at the Mexican grocery store. I began to look up ways to cook these fresh garbanzo beans and I found that you could cook them in a frying pan. Who knew? I am so excited by this new ingredient. This recipe makes an amazing snack or side dish that is so flavorful! I love the tang of the lime and the chili and salt that hits your tongue as you pop a fresh garbanzo bean out of the pod and into your mouth, such a fun experience! I love it! Do you love to try new ingredients? I hope that you have fun with this simple and fun recipe!
I hope that you have a chance to experience this fun ingredient soon!
You can find these fresh garbanzo beans here locally at various Mexican markets, or you can find them at Winco stores in the section by the fresh chili peppers and mushrooms by the produce.
Fresh Garbanzo Beans with Chili and Lime:
2 cups fresh garbanzo beans
fresh juice from 1 lime
1 teaspoon ground chili powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Drizzle in olive oil and heat.
2. Add in the fresh garbanzo beans still in their pods.
3. Fry the garbanzos in the olive oil until browned.
4. Let the garbanzos cool in a bowl off heat. Then, add the lime juice, chili powder and kosher salt. Toss to coat.
5. Serve as a delicious side dish or a fun, healthy snack. Yum! Note: To eat, you will savor the chili, lime outside, then take off the outer shell of the bean and pop the bean in your mouth. This is a really fun snack!