Summer here in Oregon is almost over, but there is still plenty of time to make and enjoy some delicious frozen treats! One of my favorite sweet combinations is lemon & raspberry. I love sweet/tart desserts as they have a tang, but just enough sweetness to make it such a taste sensation!
This frozen lemon custard is perfect because it has the creaminess of a custard without the dairy and a lot of tart lemon flavor as well. I sweeten it with local raw honey which I love. Top it all off with a yummy raspberry sauce and some more fresh raspberries and you have the perfect natural sundae to top off the last days of summer vacation.
I hope that you take a bit of time to make this frozen custard. It does take some effort, but you will see that it is well worth it.
Paleo Lemon Frozen Custard with Raspberry Sauce:
4 cups full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1/3 cup honey
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 teaspoon natural yellow food coloring (made from tumeric)
+ 1 recipe paleo lemon curd- recipe below
+ the juice of 1/2 lemon at the end of heating
1. Pour the coconut milk into a large saucepan. Heat over medium high heat until it reaches 175F. Stir in tapioca flour, honey and salt. Mix in well with a wire whisk. Mixture will thicken. Take a small amount (about 1/4 cup) of the milk mixture and whisk it into the egg mixture.Take off heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
2. After the coconut milk mixture has cooled, hold a fine mesh strainer over the saucepan and pour the beaten eggs into the strainer. Use a rubber spatula to stir the eggs around and strain them into the coconut milk mixture until all of the egg mixture is now in the saucepan.
3. Place the saucepan back on the heat, whisk with a wire whisk and let the mixture come back up to 160F. Then, take off heat, mix in the paleo lemon curd and the juice of 1/2 of a fresh lemon. Place in a bowl, top with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. This will allow the flavors to meld.
4. Freeze in your ice cream freezer according to the manufacturer's directions. Top servings with raspberry sauce and fresh raspberries and enjoy!!
Paleo Lemon Curd:
Juice and grated zest of 2 fresh lemons
1/2 cup honey
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1. Place the juice and zest of the 2 lemons and honey into a heatproof bowl. Whisk with a wire whisk. Add in the coconut oil.
2. Set the bowl over a medium saucepan filled a quarter of the way up with simmering water. Stir the mixture until the coconut oil has melted. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the 2 eggs into the mixture.
3. Cook, stirring quite frequently with a whisk for about 10-15 minutes or until the mixture has thickened. Take off of the heat and let cool before adding to the custard mixture.
1 cup fresh raspberries
1/4 cup honey
1. Place the raspberries in a small saucepan.
2. "Smash" the raspberries with a potato masher in the saucepan. Place the pan on the stove over medium high heat.
3. Stir in the honey. Cook and simmer the sauce for about 10 minutes. Take off the heat. Let cool and then serve over the frozen custard.