Carrots, Zucchini, Bananas, Ginger, Yum!! This unusual combination of ingredients came together when I was making another recipe that will be coming soon on the blog: Veggie Pancakes. After I made the pancakes I had lots of shredded carrot and zucchini leftover. I also had some ripe bananas. I thought that a delicious snack/breakfast quick bread would make these leftover ingredients shine. I added some crystalized ginger to give the bread a special flavor and a bit of kick as well. I love the result. The bread is full of flavor, but light and amazing in the morning or the afternoon with a cup of hot tea!
I love being curious about food. I just finished reading the book: "A Curious Mind" by Brian Grazer. He loves to be curious and ask lots of questions. I learned so much from the experiences he told about in his book. He has made a career out of asking lots of questions of lots of people and his life is so full because of the questions he has asked. I love getting curious about food in the same way. The way a recipe starts for me is curiosity- I ask myself "What will happen if I combine these ingredients?" or "What if I substituted this, this and that instead of the traditional ingredients? "What if I cooked this on the barbecue?" These questions lead to my experiments that I do every Monday in the kitchen and the results are so much fun. Sometimes things turn out, sometimes they are almost there and sometimes they are not quite right, but I always learn something from them. What experiments do you like to do? I would love to hear about them in the comments below! Happy experimenting in the kitchen and my best to you today! Enjoy this delicious bread!
Carrot Zucchini Banana Ginger Bread:
Makes 2 small loaves- Use pans that are: 8" x 4" x 2 1/2"
3 cups gluten free flour mix*
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup honey
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup shredded carrot
2 ripe, mashed bananas
Gluten Free Flour Mix: 2 cups brown rice flour, 2/3 cup almond meal, 1/3 cup arrowroot starch.
1. Grease the two loaf pans with coconut oil thoroughly.
2. Mix together all dry ingredients: gluten free flour mix, salt, baking powder, crystallized ginger, coconut sugar and xanthan gum with a wire whisk in a medium bowl.
3. Mix together the eggs, honey, coconut oil, shredded zucchini, shredded carrot and bananas in a separate medium bowl.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix gently with a rubber spatula. Divide the batter between the two pans and smooth the top of the batter with the spatula.
5. Bake in a 350F oven for 35-45 minutes. Check for doneness at 35 minutes by inserting a toothpick in the center of the bread. If it comes out clean, the bread is done, otherwise bake for 5-10 minutes longer.
6. Let bread stand for about 10 minutes in the pans. Then, turn the loaves out onto a wire rack to cool to room temperature before slicing and serving.