I love all delicious treats surrounded by an afternoon tea time. It is not a custom here in the U.S., but whenever I have the chance, I love to create a little oasis for myself by enjoying a cup of tea and a treat or snack. I want to create snacks that are also healthier and with whole food ingredients. So, I decided to take the idea of a delicious, chewy oat cookie such as a British flapjack and turn it into an amazing, thin, healthy cookie.
It took me two tries to get this recipe right. For the first go-round I tried to use honey and I made the cookies thicker. They were delicious, but much too crunchy and hard to bite through. I wanted to experiment and create a chewier, thinner oat cookie and this lovely flapjack came about with another kitchen experiment.
Outside in our yard we still have the lots of cherry blossom petals in the ground from the neighbor's tree that creates a virtual "pink storm" one week each year. It is a glorious time of color in the spring and it is such fun to watch. I thought that these cookies would look amazing by the pink blossoms. I love to stop and take moments to appreciate the simple beauties of nature, even if it is a cherry petal that will soon be swept away.
Enjoy your day and enjoy these cookies with some tea and a friend!
Maple Cinnamon British Flapjacks:
Makes about 12 flapjacks
1/2 cup coconut oil + extra for greasing pans
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 1/3 cups gluten free quick oats
1. Preheat the oven to 325F.
2. Grease two 8x2-inch round cake pans with coconut oil.
3. Combine the coconut oil, coconut sugar and pure maple syrup in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium low heat until the coconut oil melts and the mixture is combined. Take the mixture off the heat.
4. Stir in the cinnamon, oats and salt.
5. Divide the mixture between the two pans and use a rubber spatula to spread the mixture evenly and to smooth the top.
6. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden on top.
7. Let the mixture cool in the pans, then cut each round into 6 equal triangles.
These make a great snack or a breakfast on the go! Enjoy!