This fun recipe came from another idea from one of my Grandma Marion's recipe notebooks. I took liberty to change the biscuits to a gluten free version and also make them more flavorful by adding herbs and spices. I also made sure they are dairy free by using coconut oil instead of butter.
I thought that adding a very healthy and moist poached, shredded chicken and topping it with salsa would add extra flair to this dish. I hope that you enjoy it as much as my family and I did. It is a delicious weeknight dinner that doesn't take long to make and it also would make a lovely dish to serve to guests as well. You can serve it alongside roasted vegetables or a big salad.
Enjoy this recipe!
Southwest Corn Chicken Shortcake:
Serves 3-4 people.
Toppings: salsa, guacamole, avocados, roasted corn, roasted veggies
Makes 6-7 biscuits
1 1/2 cups gluten free flour mix (see recipe below)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/2 cup cooked corn
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup cold water
1. Heat oven to 450F.
2. Grease a rimmed baking sheet with coconut oil, set aside.
3. Mix together the first 6 ingredients with a whisk in a medium bowl. Work in the coconut oil in small chunks with a pastry blender or a fork. You want to still see small chunks of coconut oil.
4. Add in the cooked corn, egg yolk and cold water to form a dough.
5. Sprinkle a baking mat or board with some gluten free flour mix. Roll the dough out to about 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into 3-4 inch large circles. Place on the greased baking sheet. Re-roll the scraps to make more biscuits. You should have 6-7 biscuits.
6. Bake the biscuits at 450F for about 8 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
Gluten Free Flour Mix:
2 cups brown rice flour
2/3 cup almond meal
1/3 cup arrowroot starch or tapioca flour
Mix together and save the extra for another baking project. :)
While the biscuits are baking you can prepare the poached oregano chicken.
1 large chicken breast or 1.2-1.5 pounds chicken (boneless, skinless)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
1. Place all of the ingredients in a large saucepan or a Dutch oven. Cover the chicken with water. Bring the mixture to a boil.
2. Lower the temperature to a simmer and simmer for about 30-40 minutes or until chicken is done. Take the chicken out of the water and place on a plate to cool.
3. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, shred it into strips with your hands.
4. To serve the chicken shortcake, cut the biscuit in half crosswise and place it on a plate. Place a 1/2 cup or so of the shredded chicken on top. Top with your favorite salsa or guacamole. Enjoy!