This is a fantastic winter soup! I love all of the flavors in it and I also love that it is vegetarian and vegan so many people can enjoy it.
This soup is like a warm hug on a cold day. It comes lots of delicious veggies and seasonings into one fantastic dish. My husband and my son loved this soup and it soon disappeared. I served this soup over a bit of brown rice for a completely delicious and healthy meal. I love the texture of the roasted potatoes and corn along with the flavors of the mild red chilies.
I hope that you will enjoy this soup very soon!
Roasted Corn and Potato Red Chili Soup:
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
3 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups vegetable broth or stock, boiling or very hot
2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon cumin
3 cups corn, roasted (see below)
2 dried chilis, (ancho or guajillo) seeded and soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
1 tablespoon lemon juice
fresh ground pepper
1. Place seeded dried chilis in a bowl and pour boiling water over them to soak. Let them soak at least 10 minutes.
2. Heat the oven to 400F. On one sheet pan, place the potato pieces. On another sheet pan, place the corn kernals. Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes and the corn. Shake some chili powder and a little kosher salt over each. Let these roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
3. Place the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Saute the onion, garlic, and yellow pepper in the oil until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the boiling vegetable broth, water cumin and salt to taste. The broth may have some salt added, so adjust accordingly.
4. Drain the soaked chilis. Place them in a the jar of a blender. Add in half of the roasted potatoes and half of the corn. Then, add in a cup or so of the soup mixture on the stove. Blend until fairly smooth. Press the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl.
5. Add the blended chili mixture to the soup on the stove and also add in the remaining roasted potatoes and corn. Heat to combine. Serve in bowls with brown rice and extra roasted vegetables on the side.
I hope that you enjoy this super healthy and delicious soup!