This fun & healthy snack idea came to me in bits and pieces of inspiration. I love how sometimes I see an ingredient, or am using an ingredient to make dinner and some idea about how to use it in a different way comes to me. It is so interesting that the start of the idea plays around in my head like a little movie for a few days. Little by little, other ingredients are added to the film that I am daydreaming about as I imagine myself combining them into something new.
This is exactly how this snack came about- from simply making some brown rice to go with dinner one night. Later on I imagined adding in coconut oil, then the ingredients for hummus came into play. The final touch was to roll the snack balls in sesame seeds which is so delightful and adds a special crunch to them.
Last night my husband had some of these for a snack and he dipped them in some additional garlic olive oil for a delicious, healthy and special snack!
Hummus Brown Rice Sesame Snacks:
1/2 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons tahini (sesame butter)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon coconut milk
2 tablespoons coconut oil (at room temperature)
2 teaspoons garlic olive oil
1 cup cooked & cooled brown rice
+ Sesame seeds for rolling snack balls
1. Combine all of the ingredients except for the brown rice in the bowl of a food processor. Process the mixture by pulsing it until the mixture is smooth.
2. Add in the brown rice and pulse a few times until combined. You still want small pieces of rice to show up.
3. Measure out the mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls. Roll into balls with your hands.
4. Place the sesame seeds on a plate. Roll the hummus/rice balls in the sesame seeds.
5. These may be eaten right away but are especially good after they have been chilled in the refrigerator for about an hour.
I hope that you enjoy these delicious snacks! If you loved this recipe pass it on to a healthy snack loving friend! :)