Fall is coming and I love apple season! I am fortunate enough to be able to have a dwarf apple tree in my backyard as well as a columnar apple tree. I am now enjoying the fruit of these trees and incorporating them into many treats. I love being creative, especially with food. I wanted to share this amazing recipe with you today because it is only the start of apple season and there is so very much to enjoy.
This is the second go-round of working on a gluten free/dairy free kuchen. My first dough was a little crispier than I had wanted, so I went back to the drawing board and took in some ideas and incorporated them into this recipe. And, hooray! My idea worked and I now have a delicious apple kuchen with a cake/crust that is soft like shortbread and so delicious along with the tart/sweet apples from my backyard tree.
Gluten Free Dairy Free Apple Cinnamon Ginger Kuchen:
*Makes one 9-inch kuchen or two 6-inch kuchens*
Gluten Free Flour Mix:
2 cups white rice flour
2/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup potato starch
1 1/4 cups gluten free flour mix from above
1/4 cup organic sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup organic coconut oil
1 egg, separated (1 yolk and 1 white)
2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
2 cups apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4 inch thick (thin) slices
1/4 cup organic sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons crystallized ginger
1. Mix the gluten free flour mix together with a whisk in a medium bowl.
2. In a separate medium bowl, mix together 1 1/4 cups of the gluten free flour mix, sugar, salt and baking powder. Use a wire whisk.
3. Add in the coconut oil and rub it in with your fingers to form a coarse meal.
4. Mix in the egg yolk.
5. Beat the egg white with a hand mixer until it forms stiff peaks.
6. Mix in the egg white.
7. Add in the coconut milk. This will moisten the mixture. If needed, add in more coconut milk 1 teaspoon at a time if the mixture is dry.
8. Put gluten free flour on your fingers and pat the mixture into the pie pan/s. Freeze the shells for 15 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 450 F.
10. Place the apple slices in the shell/s. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top, then the crystallized ginger.
11. Bake at 450 F for 10-15 minutes. This will soften the apples quite a bit.
12. After 10-15 minutes reduce the oven temperature to 375 F. Bake the kuchen/s for 20-30 minutes longer. Check at 20 minutes. The apples should be soft and the crust should be golden.
Enjoy this recipe and share with an apple-loving friend!