I feel so very lucky that my son loves anything in meatball form! The possibilities are endless! Many times I call him a "salt-tooth" because he loves savory foods. It has been a bit of a struggle to find things that he will eat for breakfast. He usually doesn't like traditional breakfast foods, so I started to give him either bacon or meatballs along with some fruit for breakfast- works like a charm! I am also very lucky that he doesn't have any trouble eating his veggies. He is still not into salads, but that is ok.
So, last night for dinner I wanted to come up with something yummy to go with a fresh tomato sauce that I made with tomatoes & peppers from my mom's garden. I knew that these would be a hit because both my husband and son love meatballs & tomato sauce.
You may choose to serve these with or without a sauce and perhaps with a traditional or gluten free pasta & roasted veggies too! Yum!
I am glad that my three fresh basil plants are growing strong in the front planter. I love going out there to pick off a few fresh leaves for a recipe!
I hope that you & your family enjoy these meatballs as much as we do!
Gluten Free Fresh Basil and Rice Meatballs
1 pound organic grass fed ground beef
1/2 cup cooked, cooled rice (a great use for leftover rice)
1/4 cup heavy cream (or a cream or milk substitute)
1/2 of an onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh basil, finely chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Heat oven to 375F.
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl.
2. Mix thoroughly with your hands until all of the ingredients are incorporated and the mixture sticks together.
3. Grease a rimmed metal baking sheet with olive oil. I like to sprinkle olive oil on the baking sheet, then shake it around to coat the whole pan.
4. Form small meatballs- you will end up with 15-20 meatballs, depending on their size.
5. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Check the meatballs to make sure they are done in the middle. They should be browned and the juices will run clear.
6. Take out of the oven and serve with tomato sauce or any accompaniments you may wish.
If this post made you hungry for delicious meatballs, share it with a friend!
Enjoy your day & eat well!