I have always been crazy about coconut & sweet/sour desserts! I am one of those people that loves sour candies too. This is why I was so excited to create this pie. It satisfies your sweet tooth, is very pretty and is not so high in sugar. Those are all things to be thrilled about!
I love the crunch & taste of the coconut crust and the smooth, sweet/sour tang of the lime filling. This is the perfect pie for me. As an added bonus it has the fiber of unsweetened coconut and the natural sweetness of honey- so I snuck in a bit of a health benefit too! Ha ha!
This pie involves 3 steps. First, you make some sweetened condensed coconut milk. Then, you make the coconut macaroon crust, then the lime filling. It is well worth the effort when you taste the results.
I hope you enjoy making this pie!
Here is a video of me showing how to make the Coconut Macaroon Pie Crust:
Makes One 9" Pie
Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk: (Note: In order to have enough for the crust & pie filling you may need to double this recipe. This recipe is enough for a 6" pie + some extra leftover)
1 can full fat coconut milk
1/4 cup honey
1. In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, boil coconut milk, whisking from time to time.
2. Once the milk has boiled, add in the honey and whisk. Reduce the heat to a low temperature.
3. Boil down the mixture for 45 minutes to an hour so that it thickens up to the consistency of traditional, canned sweetened condensed milk. Stir from time to time (every 10-15 minutes)
4. Cool and set aside.
Coconut Macaroon Pie Crust:
2/3 cup sweetened condensed coconut milk
1 large egg white
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla or coconut extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 325F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the milk, egg white, vanilla or coconut extract and salt. Stir until well combined. Add in the coconut and mix well.
3. Press the macaroon mixture into a pie pan. (This can make up to two 9" pie crusts) pressing to the bottom and up the sides.
4. Bake the shells for 17-20 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and cool completely. Fill with the lime pie filling and bake according to pie recipe instructions.
Key Lime Pie Filling:
1/2 cup fresh lime juice from 3-4 limes
Lime zest from 1 lime
4 large egg yolks
14 ounces sweetened condensed coconut milk
1. Whisk zest and yolks in a medium bowl, about 2 minutes. Beat in sweetened condensed coconut milk, then juice; set aside at room temperature to allow to thicken (about 30 minutes).
2. Pour lime filling into crust. Bake in the middle rack of the oven on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 325F for 15-17 minutes or until set.
3. Cool the pie to room temperature. Refrigerate for about 3 hours, then you may serve your delicious pie!