This recipe has been rolling around in my head for about 2 weeks! So, yesterday I was so excited that it worked. I am always looking at food magazines, reading food blogs and looking through recipe books, so often I get an idea to combine some foods to make something even better. It is so much fun!
I kept thinking about the yummy Korean dish- Ba Bim Bap, which is usually served in a hot stone bowl- filled with crispy rice, assorted vegetables, kim-chee, an egg and some thinly sliced Korean beef. I wanted to bring together the flavors of this dish in a rice waffle and make it a vegetarian option as well.
I used some ideas from my potato waffle post and I was thrilled that it came out just has I had hoped. So, I hope you enjoy this yummy way to make use of leftovers in a new way!
Korean Rice Waffles:
2 cups leftover rice (I used mostly brown rice)
2 tablespoons gluten free flour mix** (recipe below)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons green onions
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 cup mixed sauteed veggies cooked in sesame oil (I used thin slices of carrot, zucchini
1 teaspoon Korean red pepper powder (or chili powder)
1. Heat the waffle iron and brush both sides of the iron with sesame oil.
2. Mix together all of the ingredients with a spatula in a medium bowl.
3. When the waffle iron is ready, measure out the mixture by 1/4 cupfuls onto each section of the waffle iron. Mine only makes 2 rectangular waffles at a time, so I just make two small waffles at a time.
4. Cook until golden brown on both sides.
5. You may serve these with more vegetables or with a fried or poached egg on top with some hot sauce.
These make a great part of your meal for: breakfast, lunch or dinner! They are a great way to use up leftover rice and veggies!
Gluten Free Flour Mix:
2 cups white rice flour
2/3 cup almond flour
1/3 cup arrowroot starch
Mix these together in a bowl, save the extra flour in a zip top bag for later use.
This recipes makes about 8-10 little waffles
If you enjoyed this post, send it on to someone who loves a healthy meal!